CM 2116 - Construction Plan Reading
Principles of graphic communication applied to reading construction plans with emphasis on residential, commercial, industrial and heavy highway plans. Introduction to BIM.
The goal of this course is to familiarize the student with graphic communication methods and techniques for reading and extracting construction information from plans and specifications. This course will introduce students to learn fundamental principles regarding construction plans and specifications and allow them to apply the concepts to real projects through online lab sessions. In addition, this course will prepare you to be able to manipulate, organize, and utilize drawings using BIM applications, PlanGrid, and On-Screen Takeoff (OST). Upon successful completion of this course, it is expected that that the student will be able to:
- Identify concepts and techniques of the graphic communication language.
- Analyze construction project drawings to extract required information.
- Edit drawings to communicate using the graphic communication language.
- Understand working drawings of a building using BIM software.
- Quantify materials needed to build a structure using OST.
This course runs on an several week term. It is not self-paced, but follows a weekly schedule. Check section information for exact weekly term information.
Credit is awarded from LSU–Baton Rouge
Online Format: seven week enrollment period; 7 modules 1 exams
Special Requirements: a computer with reliable internet access, a webcam, and a headset or speakers, and a microphone.
You are also responsible for purchasing separately the required textbooks and any additional required materials for this course.
If you are interested in re-enrolling in a course that you have already taken through our program, please contact us before registering. If you have any questions about registration or payment, please contact our office.
Prereq: CM 1112
Prerequisite Verification: By completing registration in this course, you acknowledge that you meet any prerequisites or requirements to take the course. LSU undergraduate students may have additional requirements imposed by their department or college and must consult with their academic counselor or advisor before enrolling in an ODL course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Construction Technology Management Specialist Certificate : Construction Technology Management Specialist Certificate
- Introduction to Construction Management Specialist Certificate : Introduction to Construction Management Specialist Certificate