Course DescriptionEssentials of Business Analysis, offered by LSU Continuing Education’s Management & Leadership Institute, is a course designed to teach key skills required to analyze a business. This interactive, two-day seminar is designed to deliver practical management training in the skills of business analysis, such as identifying business needs, gathering, filtering and prioritizing information, developing and presenting possible solutions and monitoring the effectiveness of those solutions. In the modern information age, the business analyst fulfills a key role on any business team in helping the organization manage the data available and make business decisions based on numbers and data rather than relying only on “gut feel”.
The program gives managers, analysts and other business professionals the opportunity to build their quantitative and interpersonal skills, as well as, add to their management expertise. A case study is utilized in the program to help illustrate the major principles and drive home the key skills.
Major topics to be presented include:
- Essential Business Financial Analysis: Review income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statements and some key financial ratios, including how these may vary for different types of businesses.
- Understanding What Drives Value: Learn a framework for making data-driven decisions and how to construct a business case.
- Implementing Improvement Initiatives: Understand the key components of continuous improvement efforts.
- Personal Reputation & Influence: Business analysts must interact with several parts of an organization. Learn how your personal reputation impacts effectiveness and why that is important to your success as a business analyst.
- Business Processes: All businesses follow some process or processes to get things done. Analyze the processes and where process change is needed in order to continuously improve.
- New business analysts and mid-level managers
- Managers interested in developing their managerial potential and improving their effectiveness
- Review business financial statements and learn to diagnose problems
- Learn quantitative methods to build value in any organization
- Understand how to analyze and develop effective business processes
- Learn how to influence others as well as how to identify who should be influenced
Tim Stoll, PhD, MSIA, is President of The Alternative Board – Metro Baton Rouge and a Professional EOS Implementer. Dr. Stoll has worked for more than 20 years successfully running global specialty chemical businesses within a corporate structure. He has international business experience, working extensively with customers in Europe, Asia, North America and South America and lived in Singapore for almost three years. Dr. Stoll started The Alternative Board – Metro Baton Rouge in 2009 to help small business owners in the Baton Rouge metro area build and grow successful businesses. That led him to become a Professional EOS implementer, helping leadership teams to get what they want from their businesses. He holds a PhD in Organic Chemistry from Purdue University and an MSIA (MBA equivalent degree) from the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University.
For more information about this course, email Answers or call 833-280-5634.