Knowing and preparing for the threats that our country faces on a daily basis is essential to protect communities from criminal activity and terrorist attacks. With the online Homeland Security Specialist program from LSU, students will gain a greater understanding of how law enforcement operates within a homeland security enterprise.
This MicroCert has been developed in collaboration between LSU’s National Center for Biomedical Research and Training/Academy of Counter Terrorist Education (NCBRT/ACE) and LSU Online & Continuing Education. Participants will learn the importance of conducting risk assessments to protect from criminal activity and terrorist attacks and will learn the predominant modern modes of operations that extremists use to plan for and execute an attack.
This program is ideal for law enforcement officers, public safety professionals and private sector representatives involved in security and safety functions and risk management or threat reduction. Participants enrolled in this program will benefit from the 30+ years of experience that LSU’s National Center for Biomedical Research and Training/Academy of Counter-Terrorist Education (LSU NCBRT/ACE) has in developing complex threat training for our nation’s emergency responders.
This certificate program includes 5 courses that can be purchased separately or bundled together for a discount. Courses are open to all participants, not just those pursuing a certificate program.
It is recommended to take the courses in this order:
- Homeland Security and Law Enforcement in a Post 9/11 Environment
- Tradecraft of Modern Terrorism
- Intelligence and Multi-Agency Partnerships
- Critical Infrastructure and Private/Public Partnerships
- Capstone: Operationalizing Homeland Security Concepts (Note: All four core courses must be completed prior to taking the capstone. This course will be offered quarterly in a date specific cohort-based group. Please check sections for date availability.)
- This online program requires access to a computer with internet access, email, an Internet browser (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox recommended), MS PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Online format with three months to complete the entire program. Each individual course must be completed in 2 weeks.
Digital Badge Details:
- Successful completion of all courses within this certificate earns you an official LSU digital badge to showcase your new skill set and provides employers with a reliable way to assess your capabilities. Additionally, badges serve as a visual representation of your accomplishments and can be shared on social media, personal websites, or professional networking sites.
- Badges are distributed through Canvas Credentials (previously known as Badgr). For more information on digital badges, visit the LSU digital badge page.
Prior Learning Assessment:
Through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), students who successfully complete this credential might be eligible to earn college credit toward an LSU online degree. See below for details.
Earn 1 credit hour of general Social Science elective toward this degree:
Associate of Science in Criminal Justice (LSUE) - View Program
For more information about this program, email Answers or call 833-280-5634.